|802 South Church Street
Murfreesboro, TN 37130
The Teen Learning Center provides a full school day, Tennessee Department of Education approved, alternative school and G.E.D. Program for youth 14-18 years of age. These youth have been brought to the juvenile court’s attention due to school/community problems resulting from low self-esteem, little or no socialization skills, and poor academic performance. These youth seem unaffected by traditional disciplinary procedures and may or may not be identified with special education needs. The youth will exit the program with the ability to function in socially acceptable and productive ways. Services are tailored to the needs of each child and family in order to break the cycle of peer led dependency.
Core features essential to the Teen Learning Centers effectiveness include:
- State Approved School Program – This enables the youth to continue their efforts toward graduation, earning Carnegie credits toward a high school diploma or preparing for the General Education Development exam.
- Innovative Educational Program – The smaller setting with additional individualized attention allows us the ability to provide innovative services to meet the needs of each of our clients. Areas addressed include:
- Focus on Individualized Service Plan
- Highly motivational experiential learning program
- Strong behavior management modeling for appropriate interactions
- Educational strategies integrated with technology; computer lab equipped with appropriate educational software
- Job readiness training to promote financial independence and self-esteem
- Cultural diversity and socialization
- Independent living skills training
- A safe environment where students are searched daily, and traffic into and out of the building is closely monitored.
- Group and Individual Counseling – Weekly group counseling conducted by case managers centers on self-concept, values, decision making, goal setting, crisis intervention and cognitive behavior management. In addition, social workers provide individual counseling to each student.
- School and community transitional services and aftercare to ensure a smooth, successful transition back into the mainstream population.
- Agency Coordination which is crucial to the success of the child.
- Agency Transportation Services provides door to door transportation each day.
- School Bus Behavior will be enforced and monitored by trained transportation personnel.
- Drug Testing at a minimal fee to parents.
- Community Service Projects to include visiting local nursing homes, participating in recycling projects, food drives.
- Parenting Component to improve communication between our parents and students.
- Weekly Outings are an incentive for maintaining appropriate behavior. Educational outings include trips to area museums, plays, and presentations through universities and performance centers. Guest speakers are also brought into the facility to celebrate the monthly awareness activities throughout the year.
- Truancy – Daily contact will be made for each student absent.
- Breakfast and Lunch – The program participates in the Federal Free and Reduced Lunch and Breakfast Program. Hot meals meeting Federal Lunch Program requirements are served daily.
- State Testing – The Teen Learning Center will administer all TN Ready and End-of-Course (EOC) testing required by the Tennessee Department of Education.